As March 8th approaches, Women of the World Platform, an international platform formed by 25 worldwide partners, wants to make MOTHERS present in Women’s day. Mothers are the heart and nurturing force of the family and society but are greatly ignored. We want to make them and their work visible and valued in politics, institutions and the media.
That is why Women of the World Partners have written a joint WORLDWIDE DECLARATION OF MOTHERS which I eagerly invite you to join.
You can do it by clicking here.
We are taking the Declaration to the UN CSW in New York next March and we will present it there during a Parallel Event at UN headquarters and sending it to politicians and personalities who have real influence on the policies of their countries and on the international institutions. But we will also send and deliver it in person to politicians from different countries through our partners. And, of course, we will spread it widely in social networks and the media of many countries. We want to present them a long list of adhesions, will you help us by joining you too?
The WORLDWIDE DECLARATION OF MOTHERS has already been signed by 50 associations in 30 countries.
If you want, you can also add yourself and make it possible for MOTHERS to be protagonists on Women's Day and all other days. Let’s make it possible that the media, social networks and politicians talk about them and take them into account in their proposals.
“Women make a great contribution to the welfare of the family and to the development of society, which is still not recognized or considered in its full importance. The social significance of maternity, motherhood and the role of parents in the family and in the upbringing of children should be acknowledged.” Paragraph 29 of the UN Beijing Platform (1995)
1. Mothers are the heart and nurturing force of the family and society. Mothers provide the empathy, tenderness, and resilience that a thriving society demands. By giving life, and nurturing their children, mothers, in cooperation with fathers, become the strength and the sustaining force of humanity. Mothers and fathers each play vital roles in all societies.
2. Society needs stable families in order to produce secure and happy children. Children who are raised by dedicated mothers in a stable familial environment benefit all of society.
3. Motherhood is one of the most important, rewarding, and exciting occupations a woman can engage in, yet motherhood is vastly underestimated, belittled, and even disregarded in today's world. Society often discriminates against motherhood by ignoring and rejecting its intrinsic value and irreplaceable influence in creating and sustaining prosperous societies.
4. Women in the labour market often experience discrimination for choosing motherhood. Mothers deserve equal opportunity, consideration, and respect in employment.
5. Motherhood greatly benefits women. Along with a chance to experience multiple leadership, communication, and life skills, it affords an essential feeling of completeness that women need. A woman’s identity is enhanced when she becomes a mother.
“Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance”. Article 25.2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Therefore:
I. Mothers and their children need to be respected and honored as important members of society.
II. Motherhood and familial dedication demand and deserve social and political recognition.
II. Full dedication to the family must stop being disregarded, and used as a reason to condemn mothers into social depravity.
“The family is the basic unit of society” (Beijing Platform 1995) and motherhood is the heart of the family. Mothers must be respected in policy, society, and the home.